Sunday, July 01, 2007

 

Price Of Spices

I guess I am a little bit of a fanatic when it comes to cooking
and the use of spices......My kitchen wall unit contains 36,
alone, not saying what kind of weird stuff I have in the
cabinet.......

The other day I bought some focaccia rolls....They are quite
large, about the size of a bagel, if it were square, and they
were covered with basil and oregano - thus making them
focaccia........

I can just see the machine that makes these rolls......
On the "line" somewhere basil and oregano has to be
flying all over the place, in order to "dust" the top of the
them, prior to baking or packaging.......

Now, you can buy a jar of basil for a little under a dollar in
some stores.....But go to the supermarket and a little jar
will run you over $3, for half the ounces of the $1 jar......

I know someone will tell me that the quality of the spice
is different and therefore one is more expensive than
the other......Bull, unless you are the finest of world chefs
and are preparing a "delicate" meal, throwing 2 teaspoons
of basil into a pot of crushed tomatoes, whether $3 or $1,
will give you the same taste result........

On a $20 "delicate" dish the hand chopped, garden fresh
basil picked that morning, will be noticed......But not that
dried stuff in a jar........

Them fancy supermarket spice merchants must be making
a small fortune selling those little jars of "gold"......Pumps
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?