Friday, May 20, 2005

 

Uncle Weatherbee

While watching my local TV weather report, I was reminded
of Uncle Weatherbee...

My local weather reporter stood in front of his "blue" screen
and pointed out the incoming weather patters...The screen also
showed the sweep of six radar towers...I suspect that this
is to mean that no corner of the area was missed....

Years ago in New York there was Tex Antoine....He was one
of the first live, on screen weathermen, who worked with
hand drawn charts and Uncle Weatherbee...."Uncle" was a
"figure" on a magnetic board...Tex would "dress" Uncle
with a rain hat and slicker - for rain or in shirt and shorts,
under a bright sun - for sunny days....

Things were a little simpler then and in searching out the
history of Uncle Weatherbee Google produced
http://www.bobtilden.com/6800.htm who says it better
than I....Pumps
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?